Removing old lining paper from plaster board!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, We are about to decorate a small bedroom and we are having difficulty removing the old lining/wall paper from the walls. The room has 2 external walls which are dry lined with dot and dabbed plaster board and 2 internal walls which are constructed of paramount type plaster board. Some of the paper is loose in places but will only tear off in small patches. I dont think the walls have been plastered so I want to be careful not to make the board too damp with a steamer incase it disintergrates. We want to avoid plastering if possible.

Any tips please!!!

Sponsored Links
A steamer shouldn't/wont damage the plasterboard as long as you use it just to loosen the lining paper. Dont leave it steaming in any one place for too long, just enough to loosen the lining paper,,,,, keep it on the move, that's about the only way to remove it, apart from brushing/sponging on water and a scraper, which will probably take forever.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for that, I will give it a try. The house was built in the late 60's and all the plaster board used seems to be quite thin so I will go easy with the steamer.

Paul.

Just for info Pace,
Plasterboard manufactured in the 60's and 70's is far superior than most, if not all of the stuff manufactured today!! The filling is far softer in todays plasterboard. I've taken old tiles off of 30 year old plasterboard, no problem, take tiles from most of todays plasterboard, it'll destroy the sheets. You'll have no problems from a steamer.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back