Removing old 'multi-input' outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The following outlet looks fairly old to me, it's in mum's (high rise) flat, she's never used it and never will. I want to completely remove it and fill whatever's behind prior to redecoration. In terms of the cables I'll be exposing, is there anything I need to consider prior to filling, or can I essentially just shove them back and if required cut them to ensure the surface can be smoothly filled? Would it be better practice to cover the ends with insulating tape? I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) these outlets were put in years back and perhaps linked to aerials (and a satellite dish?) on the roof? As I say, not used now.

outlet.jpg

Sponsored Links
As I say, not used now
Not used by you, but as you say...
it's in mum's (high rise) flat,
This might be hugely expensive/beurocratically difficult to reinstate by the next resident.

I may be wrong, but there is also a possibility that these feeds are coming from a distribution amplifier?
If so, just cutting the cables may cause issues with the amplifier, that could affect other residents.

It's ugly, but I would probably try and find a way to move it into a less conspicuous location, rather than bury it.

...but I will wait for some more informed opinions! :)

Not used by you, but as you say...

This might be hugely expensive/beurocratically difficult to reinstate by the next resident.

I may be wrong, but there is also a possibility that these feeds are coming from a distribution amplifier?
If so, just cutting the cables may cause issues with the amplifier, that could affect other residents.

It's ugly, but I would probably try and find a way to move it into a less conspicuous location, rather than bury it.

...but I will wait for some more informed opinions! :)
Thanks for the reply, the points you've raised did cross my mind hence me being slightly hesitant. Rather than me just going at it, I might be best seeking advice from a local aerial/satellite company and will drop the council an email.

Owner or Renter of the dwelling? Council is mentioned by you. How does Mum watch TV or does she not and does other things with her time?

You should probably not interfere with that Communal Antenna System outlet wall plate. It should belong to the Building Management company / Factors and/or Freeholder who operate the system for all the dwellings. There should be two coaxial cables behind there that attach to the plate that are connected back to the powered distribution system.

Reinstating the cables for a future resident to use could work out expensive if they are cut off short.

The presence or lack of the plate, nor cutting of the cables, will have negligible effect on the distribution system, so that's not an issue. Local TV aerial installers should know not to interfere with Communal Antenna Systems... unless they arrive on horseback.

Sponsored Links
Owner or Renter of the dwelling? Council is mentioned by you. How does Mum watch TV or does she not and does other things with her time?

You should probably not interfere with that Communal Antenna System outlet wall plate. It should belong to the Building Management company / Factors and/or Freeholder who operate the system for all the dwellings. There should be two coaxial cables behind there that attach to the plate that are connected back to the powered distribution system.

Reinstating the cables for a future resident to use could work out expensive if they are cut off short.

The presence or lack of the plate, nor cutting of the cables, will have negligible effect on the distribution system, so that's not an issue. Local TV aerial installers should know not to interfere with Communal Antenna Systems... unless they arrive on horseback.
The property is privately owned, the block is a mix of private and council tenants. The block is served by Virgin Media which mum uses, so the older/traditional connections aren't used by her whatsoever.

I'll contact the council to enquire if it can be removed.

The property is privately owned, the block is a mix of private and council tenants. The block is served by Virgin Media which mum uses, so the older/traditional connections aren't used by her whatsoever.

I'll contact the council to enquire if it can be removed.
She will be paying for the Communal Antenna system in terms of Service Charges (Factor Charges in Scotland?). Removal will not reduce those charges. Council / Factors may do it (at a cost), but...

It can provide a fall back for if/when Virgin subscriptions get too expensive?
It will offer Freeview for sure and likely allow $ky and Freesat boxes to connect. (ALL TVs have Freeview tuners in them, some now have satellite as well.)

Missing, it may deter a savvy buyer who wants to avoid Virgin's reputedly high charges? I'd not want to be reliant on cable TV and would prefer terrestrial or satellite. Mind it won't be too long before streaming TV is the only way (say within 10-20 years?).

Put a vase or something in front of it so it does not offend your eye.

Maybe the socket facia doesn't look fresh as a daisy, but this is still the way some distribution systems are wired in 2023.

Where your mother is renting then this isn't really hers to mess about with. Get approval first, and you may well find that any change has to be done by their people.

Terminating shouldn’t be a problem though. As it stands right now, there's no 75 Ohm loads on any of the sockets. That's because no receivers (TV, sat box, radio tuner etc) are attached. If you were allowed to remove the surface box then taking the two bare wires and adding F connectors along with 75 Ohm dummy loads would provide better termination than they have with nothing connected.

Burying the cables in the wall though might be a problem for any following tenants. Maybe just a 1G blanking plate and a shallower patress box might suffice?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back