Removing old paint from a brick doorway arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm just finishing a house I bought as a five year restoration project (15 years ago :D ). I've just had all the exterior front done but have hit a problem. The old arched door way is brick faced but when a previous owner fitted a double glazed door to the arch they plastered over part of the arch and painted the brick on the other half. I've managed to expose the brick under the plaster but removing the paint is proving more difficult. House is a standard 1930's 3 bed semi with from bay window and arched fron door way (You know the type)

I've tried the usual methods (Frapp wheels, wire brush, scrapper, Nitro , Caustic soda and wallpaper paste, birck on brick). All work to a degree but leave a white stain on the brick or damaged the face of the brick. As this is a feature arch and needs to look prestine can anyone think of anything I haven't tried.

Time is not a problem...patience however may be.....

Sponsored Links
Hi Gilgamesh,
before you put your head in the oven have you tried one of the main merchants like dixons ,leyland or crown because one of them supplies something that just might help you out.i cant remember the name ,but what you do is put something like a grease proof paper where you want to remove the paint and brush on a solution its a bit like nitramors and it draws out the paint ,it may leave a little paint but you should be able to remove it by wiping it away with some white spirit and brush and wash it down with warm water and washing up liquid,

Hopefully patience and brickwork restored

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back