Removing old tile adhesive on chipboard worktop

H

holmslaw

I have a ceramic tiled chipboard worktop and I want to replace the tiling. Whats the best way of removing the tiles and the adhesive.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hammer & bolster chisel with help from a scraper with a chisel edge (as opposed to a square edge). It depends how well the tiles are stuck down but the chip worktop is unlikely to survive, especially if it was professionally made using quality tile adhesive; unfortunately removing the tiles will almost certainly destroy the chip. Post formed worktops are high density chip but the standard stuff is total crap & maybe you should budget to replace the lot; tiles wouldn’t be my choice for a replacement worktop either!

Appreciate and understand everything you've said and it is standard crap chipboard, two layers of 18mm glued and screwed together.

My idea was to use a very sharp bolster or sharpened paint scrapper to cut betwwen the tile and adhesive. And then come up with some method of removing/smoothing the remaining adhesive, I was thinking a very coarse belt sander.

Why are you not keen on tiled worktops? is there any other covering that could be used?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back