removing one leaf of a thermal block cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a pocket door into an existing internal, thermal block cavity wall, with an existing doorway. I'm thinking that if I remove just one side of the block work next to the door, I can fit the frame and replace a stud wall in it's place. Would I need a lintel or would the other side of the cavity wall be enough?

Any thoughts would be welcome, as there seems to be no information about this on line.

Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
it's unusual for an internal wall to have a cavity; are you sure of the construction?
what is upstairs?

Yes. I have the plans showing this. The wall is 300mm thick. The house is a Chalet bungalow with 2 bedrooms upstairs. The door goes into a utility room, that although all built at the same time, is a single floor, like an extension, so the wall was designed as an outside wall but I think both leaves are thermal blocks.

Sponsored Links
You will need a lintel longer than the width of the opening on one leaf, unless you are going to prop the leaf to install the gear in the cavity and then rebuild - but some systems may not fit in a narrow cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back