Removing one row of tiles in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have just moved into a rented property, we can do pretty much whatever we like to it. In the bathroom there are bog standard white tile seperated at the midway point with some absolutely disgusting dolphin/shell tiles half of which are cracked and appear to have been polyfillered back together.
Obviously given that we are just renting we don't want to spend a fortune but I cannot live with the cracked dophin border much longer! Our landlord is happy for us to remove the border and re-tile, however I was wondering, is it possible to just remove one row? would we need to remove the grout behind or just choose a tile that wouldnt matter if it stuck out from the white ones?
Is this a job a tiler would undertake or would they just think it a waste of time as our bathroom is so small.
Neither myself of my husband have tiled before and just know I'll mess it up, if anyone can advise we would be most grateful.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No unfortunately not, we've got them elsewhere but the dolphins stick out of the tile so a sticker wouldn't sit flat. I've tried the water slide transfers but you can still see the dolphin shapes through. Shame, it would'nt be so bad if they all were in line and perfect tiles but the fact that half of them are smashed and pieced together draws attention to them. Thankyou for replying and for your suggestion.

a grout rake tool and a knackered wood chisel would do the job nicely..

use a nail or something to break up one tile and pry the bits loose ( after raking the grout out above and below ), then use the chisel to pry the tiles off..
hold the tile above and below while you do to stop it being pried off with it.. ( shouldn't happen if the grout is raked out but just in case )

Sponsored Links
Thankyou! Have just been on ebay and bought a grout rake, so will have a go at doing it myself and if all else fails will call in a professional, if they'll come for such a small job!

once youve removed the grout no need to be gentle and pry the first one out, give it a whack, its not like your using it again, far less hassle and less chance of chipping surrounding tiles you want to keep.

take the bits out and work from there.

simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back