Removing paint from old tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I just discovered that my fire surround and hearth, which i previously thought was plain, actually has some lovely glazed tiles underneath two layers of paint.

I have no idea if it's tile paint, looks like the bottom layer at least is gloss. Just had a quick go at scraping it off. Some of it comes off with just the edge of a plastic blade but it's hard work! Tried a metal edge but am reeeeally worried about scratching them.

Any ideas what else could work? Will Nitromors damage the surface? They look like they might be quite old and have a gorgeous design so I don't want to try things willy nilly in case I ruin them!

Sponsored Links
Could start by warming them with a hair dryer as this isn't too intense, then use your plastic scraper.

Heating the tiles is an good idea, you just need to be careful that you dont over heat them.

Sponsored Links
try some nail varnish remover if you have some about the house, or paint thinners. Concentrate on a small area at a time. Whatever you do is going to be slow going I suspect to avoid damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back