removing paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to remove paint (not acrylic) from plastered walls? It won't scrape off. Steam it? Chemical options???

Cheers,

Julie.

Sponsored Links
What sort of paint, and why do you want to remove it?

Don't know the type of paint - it's just standard indoor paint on bathroom walls I think. doesn't appear to be acrylic. I want to repaint the walls as it's peeling off in a number of areas.

Julie.

Is it gloss paint or emulsion?

How old is the house, and how old the paint?

Sponsored Links
I have a similar scenario so thought I would tag it on to this post rather than start a new thread (hope that's OK).

I have completely stripped a room to decorate and as the plaster is in pretty good nick was intending to sand it down to remove paint, dried glue and any excess filler.

I started yesterday with a medium sand paper (soon switching to course when I realised that the medium wasn't touching it).
After 4 hard hours (and 4 sheets of sand paper) I have only managed to get a 3ft by 3ft area done !!!!

I am also VERY concerned that as the house is 41 years old and the paint looks like the original wall covering that it may be lead based !!!
Whilst I was wearing a paper face mask yesterday I could still taste the paint and am coughing badly today (also the dust is EVERYWHERE).

There must be an easier (and imperatively safer) way to do this ??????
The paint looks like it is an emulsion (doesn't look glossy), is probably about 40 year old and aint easy to shift !!!!
I have thought about going over it with a steamer to make it pliable and then peeling large chunks of it (but am worried that I over steam it and ruin the plaster). Have also thought about using chemical remover but am concerned that it may give off poisonous fumes with the lead based paint !!!

Really want to try and avoid slapping up lining paper and painting it if i can avoid it (just being lazy) but don't want to continue the sanding if it is dangerous !

Can anyone please advise as to the easiest & safest way.

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy_P.

Andy_P said:
I have a similar scenario so thought I would tag it on to this post rather than start a new thread (hope that's OK).

I have completely stripped a room to decorate and as the plaster is in pretty good nick was intending to sand it down to remove paint, dried glue and any excess filler.

I started yesterday with a medium sand paper (soon switching to course when I realised that the medium wasn't touching it).
After 4 hard hours (and 4 sheets of sand paper) I have only managed to get a 3ft by 3ft area done !!!!

I am also VERY concerned that as the house is 41 years old and the paint looks like the original wall covering that it may be lead based !!!
Whilst I was wearing a paper face mask yesterday I could still taste the paint and am coughing badly today (also the dust is EVERYWHERE).

There must be an easier (and imperatively safer) way to do this ??????
The paint looks like it is an emulsion (doesn't look glossy), is probably about 40 year old and aint easy to shift !!!!
I have thought about going over it with a steamer to make it pliable and then peeling large chunks of it (but am worried that I over steam it and ruin the plaster). Have also thought about using chemical remover but am concerned that it may give off poisonous fumes with the lead based paint !!!

Really want to try and avoid slapping up lining paper and painting it if i can avoid it (just being lazy) but don't want to continue the sanding if it is dangerous !

Can anyone please advise as to the easiest & safest way.

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy_P.

Try wetting the old paste..with a bucket of hot water and sugar soap and brush, soak a section at a time.. wait a minute or so for paste to reactivate then scrape off as much as poss with a broad scraper, soak again a nd rinse with cold water and sponge.. shame you didnt clean as you stripped off paper now youve got to wet walls all oer again.. Can't see why your wanting to strip the wall paint! After stripping and cleaning, walls should be ok to paint ontop of existing paint. If walls are bad line em...I'd never try to sand off wall paint...no wonder your koffing :D
Emulsions dont have lead in them only very old gloss.. your house is 41 yrs old soo your ok.. put the sander away.... ;)
good luck..

Thanks confident - am preparing to line walls with lining paper (can't say that I am looking forward to it as never done before).
Have put sander away (read an article at defra re lead based paint removal that has scared the life out of me) !!!!

That said I do need to lightly sand in small areas to smooth over a few cracks that I have filled. I take it small localised light sanding is OK ? (Or is there an alternative to smoothing these Polyfilled cracks over) ?

Cheers for the reply.

Use a broad scraper.

Quicker, easier, cleaner.

cheers for sort of useful info all. I also turned to the trusty scraper in the end (a very sharp one) and just scraped off the paint - didn't turn out too bad.

Ta,

Jools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back