Removing paint fumes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any tricks that work for removing paint fumes. We start painting the bedroom tomorrow and we have to sleep in there at night. I have read about putting onions, vanilla extract, orlemons in the room, and then there's air purifiers, dehumidifers, the list goes on! Do any of these work or is it just having the window open that works?! Would reAlly like to wake up the day after the paint before!

Sponsored Links
Apparantly the onions draw in the fumes and absorb them, i've done it a few times and it does help. The only other thing i know of is brushmate aroma which masks the smell rather than dissipate the fumes. You could consider water based paints, theres plenty of info on here.

Try the Onions if you are happy with the Bedroom smelling like a Pickle Factory !!!

Water based paint could be your answer.

Sponsored Links
Well, it's all painted and not too many fumes! I didn't 'do' the onion thing, I do love pickled onions but not sure I could cope with crying through the painting job! I did try vanilla extract and lemon juice and the windows wide open ( so it was freezing!) something worked as there were not many fumes. The vanilla extract did change colour over the day so not sure if there was a scientific process going on! Maybe I should try another tactic for painting the bathroom on Wednesday! Thanks for your help! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back