Removing part of a block wall on the stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am looking to remove part of a block wall on the stairs and having banisters to open up the dining room a bit better. both space and light.

I have removed some of the plaster board to have a look and have some pics to show. I am trying to determine wheter it is feasible to remove part of the wall.

I dont believe it is load bearing as it goes the same way across the house as the joists do. ther is a smaller joist notched into the main joist which attaches where the floor/wall above your head as you go up the stairs.

Here are some pics

View media item 38505This is the plan view of the stairs. the re arrow indicates the area to remove. There is a wooden joist running ontop of the wall and on the otherside it had a stud wall below it which I have now ripped out.

View media item 38506This is the end of the wall. There is no brick on the top right at the end. And the joist appears to have a 1-2mm gap apart from where some mortar has been poked into the gaps. On the right of the pic you can see the notched in joist.

View media item 38507This is an inspection hole a bit further along the joist. showing floor boards and stud work for walls above

View media item 38508This is a wider shot to give a perspective of what is being looked at and where the inspection holes are.

Would you agree that this wall will be fine to remove? I do have a mate who is a chartered engineer coming to have a look before i destroy the house lol. Just after some opinions or considerations before I power up the grinder.

Thanks in advance Rob

Sponsored Links
well it looks like the wall will be a gonner by the weekend.... hahahahaha (evil laugh)

Although I have been informed that I may notice a bit more bounce in the bedroom above!!!! (hope the misses is reading this) hahahahaha

Sponsored Links
glad you see you know you cannot remove a load bearing wall :D
showing a wall in isolation is fairly pointless
we need to know whats above to the roof level down to floor/basement level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back