Removing Plaster Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post!

I am attempting a somewhat ambitious (for me anyway) project of dividing our living room by building a stud wall.

My problem is with the coving. It looks expensive and thus I want to keep as much of it as possible.

Is there a way of taking it down or just 'cutting out' the bits I need gone?

Here is an image if it makes any sense to anyone!

Sponsored Links
You dont have to cut the coving:

Run a single stud up to just shy of the coving and fix the stud to the wall. In your chimney breast (?) case you will have to use rippings of studs or, better yet, to move the partition away from splitting on the outside corner.

Now pin another stud to the first stud and run it up past the coving to just shy of the ceiling - you may have to use a filler piece to pack out the second stud, depending on how deep the coving projects out.
You should to pack out to beyond the chimney breast face coving before raising the partition.

Now erect your stud partition and run plaster board as tight to the coving as possible - perhaps make a template of the coving profile and cut out the P/B to match.

Dont skim to the coving, simply use a little DIY filler from a tub to pick up any gaps and skim to the filler - this way you preserve the coving if the partition is removed.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought about doing that, but how would i go about adding coving to the partition wall and making it flush with the existing coving?

Sponsored Links
There's no indication of coving on the partition on your sketch?

What kind of coving do you have in place at the moment - how intricate or modern is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back