REMOVING PLASTIC PIPES AND RADIATOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a couple of questions about some pipes in bathroom area. I have attached a pic to help.

I want to remove the radiator and plastic radiator tubing connected to the 22mm copper heating pipes as seen in the pic. The drain valve runs out of the pic to the outside wall. I dont want to flood the whole area so whats the best way to do this pref without draining the whole heating system down. And can I cap the 10mm copper tails or will the 22mm copper main pipes have to be replaced at these points with new sections?

And I dont understand why there is a gate valve bridging the flow heating pipes. Could someone please explain the reason for this. And to add the valve is broken anyway, it only turns but does not work and appears to be in the clsed position.

Thanks

Johno

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
I want to remove the radiator and plastic radiator tubing connected to the 22mm copper heating pipes as seen in the pic.
The pipes you have marked "Rad" in you photograph don't look plastic, they appear copper with a plastic sheath.

can I cap the 10mm copper tails or will the 22mm copper main pipes have to be replaced at these points with new sections?
You can cap them. But you will still have to empty the water from the pipes whether you modify the 22 or 10mm.

I dont understand why there is a gate valve bridging the flow heating pipes. Could someone please explain the reason for this. And to add the valve is broken anyway, it only turns but does not work and appears to be in the closed position.
It's a by-pass valve, it allows water to still circulate around the boiler if all of the radiators are switched off, either manually or by thermostatic radiator valves. Normally the by-pass is cracked open slightly, if it was open too much, more water would flow through it than the radiators. Automatic versions are available that open and close according to demand. These are more efficient, as they only let water by when necessary.

Thanks for the replies lads. So would I be right in saying that this plumbing is a mess in terms of neatnesss and over neccessity of pipes? Would I have money well spent to get another plumber in to tidy this lot up. This was originally done by a local professional heating service!

Or do you think it is well enough constructed and safe? Taking into account theres is no fixing of pipes and everything is just suspended in air.

I was also thinking that maybe taking out all this mish mass of plastic everywhere and getting it all redone with copper. Would this be to costly eg. shutting down heating sytem, copper tubing, etc and plumbers time? Or should I leave alone?

The joiner is putting new joists and flooring in and i just wanted to make sure before I close it all up.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
[GALLERY=media, 30246][/GALLERY][/QUOTE] I`ve heard of a low - loss header . That looks like a Dead Loss header :shock:[/quote]

[img]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/hispec/funny%20pics/laughingchimp.gif

Or should I leave alone?

The joiner is putting new joists and flooring in and i just wanted to make sure before I close it all up.

Cheers

I would leave it alone, although tell the joiner to screw (not nail) the boards down :LOL:

Yep, bypass balancer for the heating.

Yep, leave the horrible ugly mess alone if everything is working right. It's out of sight, you'll soon forget about it, and "fixing it" will probably lead to something else going wrong as well as lightening your wallet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back