Removing pressure reducer valve for better pressure/flow rates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have problems with low pressure/flow rate in my house (in North Cornwall).

I have a combi system with no space for a header tank, meaning running a bath (or two people using hot water simultaneously) has a very low pressure/flow.

I already had a plumber who said the problem stemmed from the water main into the house (he cleaned out the pressure reducing valve and turned it right down to negligible effect). He then recommended I call out the water board for them to perform some tests from the roadside.

When the water board came to visit, he connected a large tap to the water main outside my house on the street and did 2 tests.

1) He connected a pressure dial - about 1.95 bar pressure
2) He used a metal pot with holes in it to approximate the flow rate (about 38 litres per minute).

He said these were perfectly healthy, so pointed back towards the house.

Then he repeated the test with the outside tap adjacent the kitchen sink (close to the water main, but within the property).
1) Pressure dial was actually a bit higher (2.1 bar)
2) Flow was about 20 litres per minute,

He told me that I should remove the Pressure Reducer valve entirely, saying water pressure across the entire area was being reduced and there was no prospect of it ever being dangerously high.

My questions is: Is the Pressure Reducer required by law? and does anyone have any experience with pressure reducer valves having such a negative effect to pressure and flow?

Sponsored Links
When the water board came to visit, he connected a large tap to the water main outside my house on the street and did 2 tests.

1) He connected a pressure dial - about 1.95 bar pressure
2) He used a metal pot with holes in it to approximate the flow rate (about 38 litres per minute).

What is the size of the pipe between where he connected the outside tap and your stopcock? And what is the pipe size between the stopcock and where you measured flow inside your house (outside tap adjacent the kitchen sink)?

It's also certainly possible a PRV could be restricting flow (especially if it is faulty). Is it a 15mm or 22mm PRV?

Sponsored Links
Your plumber could have checked flow rates at various outlets hot & cold.Tools are available to check t flow rates/pressure.

Other water outlets could have flow reducing limiters fitted so your shower gets priority flow also any filters/regulators in the shower need to be checked.

:censored: sake its all basic plumbing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back