Removing pump nuts/unions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only way I know is to tap them with a hammer and then use grips, but there must be a better way. If I get one of those monument spanners, how do you stop the body from turning when you apply pressure?

I had to change the mother in laws on Sunday so I'm wondering if the pro plumbers have a nifty idea? It had been on there for about 20 years and didn't want to come off.

Would LSX stop it from grabbing next time?

Sponsored Links
Hold the pump with one hand while using your grips or i've got a big pair of harolds that will hold any pump still :eek:

Dremel cut the nut off. A quick cut and you can use a screwdriver
to break the nut off.

A proper pump spanner is also useful.

a blow torch on the union nuts usually works to loosen them up, but most installers will leave the body in situ & just change the head

Sponsored Links
You can often shock the pump nuts with a hammer and chisel. If the pump's in a corner, sometimes it's possible to wedge some timber between pump and wall. You can then get a big spanner on the nuts and the timber will stop the pump turning.

Heat the nut with a blowtorch until you can see it starting to turn red, then get your grips on it, nuts will turn with very little force. Does help to have something to hold the pump with, I've got some 18" grips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back