removing roof struts ?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to try to raise the cold water tank in the loft for better head pressure for the shower. The ensuite and bathroom have both just been renovated with new shower valve (concealed) and boxed and tiled in. The gravity fed showers are pretty poor, and so, without ripping it all out to fit independant supplies to the showers with a pump, I'm hoping that I may be able to add another meter of head.
The problem is, the roof beams (not sure of the correct names). It's the middle part of the "W" that's in the way. Can one of these be taken out and reinforced some other way? so I can then build a higher staging for the tank ??

Hope somebody can help !!!

Sponsored Links
you might like to consider a shower pump instead

How does this work instead of the other pumps ...bearing in mind everything is newly tiled in now

Sponsored Links
not a problem they fit anywhere into the feed lines for the shower, but make sure your tanks have enough capacity to take the pump.
Sounds like your roof is made up of fink trusses so don't cut any of them out.

The thing is, the showers run off of the communal hot and cold feed lines ... so if a pump is fitted it will activate every time a tap is turned on?!
Frustrating !!! Are there narrow tanks available that will go between these fink trusses ??

Thanks for all help / suggestions

you need to ask on the Plumbing and Heating section.

Over here, post a photo of your loft. I have quite a large tank and it fits in the central section, raised on a platform, despite the trusses.

I have done exactly what you are trying to do. Increase the head for a gravity feed shower by three or four feet.
I had 'W' trusses, and the header tank fitted easily between the trusses sitting on a newly constructed wooden frame.
Sounds like JohnD has done the same exercise. The conclusion being that there must be header tanks available with dimension suitable to fit between trusses.
I might add, the shower performance after lifting the tank was fantastic, and lifting the tank was an easy job, far easier than arsing about with electrics and pumps, although I have got to say a pumped shower can give an invigorating pressure shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back