Removing satellite dish and cables, making good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Freesat mini-dish on the back wall of our house, cables descend the brickwork then there's a hole drilled for them to enter the living room.

I can easily remove the dish and cables (we're moving house and want to take them) but particularly with the hole through the wall I want to make good. What is the normal way to do this... any particular fittings or just squirt in some sealer? It needs to be sealed up but I suppose allowing a future user to re-use the hole would be good.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Genuine question - Is it usual to take your Freesat dish when moving house? What's the new buyer expecting? Are they classed as fixtures and fittings? I wouldn't expect somebody to take the TV aerial when they moved house.

I'm with Simon35 on that one- if it was there when the new buyers looked at the place and it is fixed down then it goes with the house. Bit like integrated kitchen appliances stay, loose white goods are portable. Unless you've got a satellite meter you'll be paying someone to refit it at the new place- might as well have a new dish (motorised) while you're at it.

Bit of appropriately-coloured silicone in the outside hole, and filler on the inside, is fine.

Sponsored Links
You list it when you sell. I've also asked the buyer and they don't want it... we also have regular TV aerial and most people don't have Freesat. If they get Sky then they'd get a new dish as part of the installation.

A new dish+cables plus LNB is not super-cheap, getting a guy to install an existing dish works out cheaper.

Actually the cables are not something we'd particularly want but it would look wrong to leave cables with no dish IMO.

You list it when you sell. I've also asked the buyer and they don't want it... we also have regular TV aerial and most people don't have Freesat. If they get Sky then they'd get a new dish as part of the installation.

A new dish+cables plus LNB is not super-cheap, getting a guy to install an existing dish works out cheaper.

Actually the cables are not something we'd particularly want but it would look wrong to leave cables with no dish IMO.

Fair enough. I guess you need to make good as if it hadn't been installed, as best you can. Gobbo up the outside hole, and patch and paint inside.

A new dish+cables plus LNB is not super-cheap,
About £80 to £100 installed,

[QUOTE="d000hg, post: 3872678, member: 204051" getting a guy to install an existing dish works out cheaper.

No much I wouldn't have thought. And if the adjustment bolts are rusted up he may not be able to use it anyway.

We have a Quad LNB on ours which I thought made it more pricey. It's not a massive deal to leave it, maybe I'll phone a local guy and ask for quotes with/without new kit. And if he says "I ain't doing an old one" that'll answer my question!

We have a Freesat mini-dish on the back wall of our house, cables descend the brickwork then there's a hole drilled for them to enter the living room.

I can easily remove the dish and cables (we're moving house and want to take them) but particularly with the hole through the wall I want to make good. What is the normal way to do this... any particular fittings or just squirt in some sealer? It needs to be sealed up but I suppose allowing a future user to re-use the hole would be good.

Thanks.
Sounds more like a Building question than an electrical one.

We have a Quad LNB on ours which I thought made it more pricey. It's not a massive deal to leave it, maybe I'll phone a local guy and ask for quotes with/without new kit. And if he says "I ain't doing an old one" that'll answer my question!

That is why I gave a price range, £80 with single LNB, £100 with a quad.

I would only bother to take it if I was reinstalling it myself, which is actually not that difficult even without a meter, as most receivers have a built in meter,

Well fair enough - didn't realise that (about the specific listing). Someone said above- blob of mortar outside (try and get it to match existing) including the fixing holes if they're massive, filler and paint inside and run away :)

Artists' powder colours (or even watercolour paint) can be added to a mortar mix to achieve a very close match to existing brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back