Removing silicone from glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any tips, please, for removing dried smears of neutral cure, low modulus silicone, from window glass?

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. It's mostly smears too fine to scrape with a blade. What's sort of working so far is lifting it off with dry kitchen scrubby pads, and kitchen roll, helped on with White Spirit when necessary. I'm going to be at this for a while, though ;)

Make sure that you don't scratch the glass
It's easier than you think

Thanks chaps. It's mostly smears too fine to scrape with a blade. What's sort of working so far is lifting it off with dry kitchen scrubby pads, and kitchen roll, helped on with White Spirit when necessary. I'm going to be at this for a while, though ;)

Are we talking roof glass or windows?

Are we talking roof glass or windows?
Windows. Quite big ones ;) I fixed them into timber frames with Silirub-2; thought I'd made a good job of not getting it all over the glass, but have quite a lot of fine smears.

Silicone disolving remover ? from screwfix for under £5. Tried it once on a bead - not brilliant BUT it'll be good for those fine smears.

Silicone disolving remover ? from screwfix for under £5. Tried it once on a bead - not brilliant BUT it'll be good for those fine smears.
Thanks. I'll try that, as I have to go to Screwfix to replace my compound sliding mitre saw that crashed into the ground when the garage door blew onto the table :-/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back