What's the clearest "clear" product you've used fo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

For those who have read my other recent posts, the external wooden windows are slowly but surely being finished. I'm at the stage with some where I am ready to apply the product that will seal the DG panels to the surrounding wooden beading....

So I tried Dow Corning 799 this morning.... I had read a review which said it was quite opaque, but I did not expect it to be this bad! Very noticeable, opaque and blue-ish. Not what I was looking for at all!

I have some Geocel "The Works" in clear. I think it is similar to CT1 (which I have not used but I've seen the videos). As opposed to the DC799, the Geocel product is fantastically clear. You cannot even notice it is there unless you get really close. Super!

However, all the advice I've read is that for sealing DG units a Low Modulus Neutral Cure Silicone should be used. The Works is not silicone (it's a SCY polymer) and is HIGH modulus. I've spoken to Geocel and they say it is safe to use and won't harm the seals of DG units.

I just wondered what people's thoughts are on all this and whether anyone has used The Works, CT1 or similar in this application? Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has found a Low Modulus Neutral Cure Silicone which is totally clear and transparent...

Sorry for the long post and many thanks to all

Max

Sponsored Links
Fix all crystal clear. It's a tad blue but only a tad. Much better than CT1 though, don't use it on a warm day as it can slop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back