removing sink and cutting off supply to taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anybody able to advise on cutting off the water supply to sink taps?

I am redoing our downstairs toilet/utility room and have installed a new sink/taps in a different location (using the old washing machine supply).

I now want to remove the old sink so need to shut off the water supply to the hot and cold taps here. Pipework is all plastic (polyplumb I believe) and the floor is tiled so I can’t disconnect the pipes. I was thinking of cutting the pipes short, using some polyplumb socket ends (http://www.screwfix.com/p/polyplumb-socket-ends-15mm-pack-of-2/31175) then boxing the pipes in at the skirting board level. I obviously don’t want to use anything that is unreliable though and that might burst off so would like to know if these will be ok? Or is there a better option … e.g. would I be better to fit a compression stop end? Or an isolation valve then a stop end on each pipe?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Sponsored Links
The polyplumb stop ends will do the job - don't forget the inserts!

But, to avoid leaving deadlegs it would be better to trace back closer to the supply point and cap off there.

Cheers! Will go for those stop ends then.

Yeh, I would ideally like to remove the pipes but it's not really going to be possible to yake up the tiled floor at the moment.

You don't need to pull the floor up - trace the pipework back to source and cap off there

Sponsored Links
How do I do that? I know where the hot and cold water pipes enter the room (from upstairs) they then go down the wall and under the floor then back up at two points ... 1)the old sink and 2)the washing machine&new sink. I can't disconnect before they go under the floor as this would cut the supply to the washing machine and the new taps or is there some other way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back