Removing SOME tiles from a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to the bodging incompetence of the cretin who tiled my bathroom, some of the tiles are loose, i.e. no longer stuck to the walls. There's a section where a wall is only partially tiled, because there was a cupboard, now removed. More-or-less floor to ceiling, and 3 tiles wide, they aren't stuck, and if I put my fingers on the edge and pull gently I can see the whole lot start to move.

And there are other tiles in other places where rapping with a knuckle produces an ominously hollow sound.

It may be, when I do a proper check of all of them that the situation is so dire that I think "**** it", and just have the whole lot re-done.

:evil:

But OTOH, if it's just that 3-tile wide section, and a few random others, how feasible is it to cut right through the grouting with a Dremel or a Fein and remove just the dodgy ones?

I'm not so worried about getting those ones off undamaged, as I think I have enough spares, but if I do go for that I'd want to avoid breaking the neighbouring ones.

When I've removed tiles before, adjacent ones to the one I'm prising off always break, but I've never tried cutting through the grout first.

Can it be done?

Sponsored Links
It can be done but the grout isn't what keeps the tile on the wall it's the adhesive behind it so until you try get one off you won't know how well they are stuck. If the same guy tiled it all a really good sneeze may do the trick.

I know it's not the grout that holds them on, but the grout binds them together, to some extent? So if I'm inserting something between a dodgy tile and the wall I'd like to ensure (if I can) that as it lifts away I don't crack the one next to it which is still firmly stuck down.

Actually - I keep saying "I" - t'wont be I as I don't do tiling. (But I bet if I did the bl**dy things would stay stuck).

But it would be nice to know if when I add it to the list of other stuff to be done by the builders I say "and I'd like you to remove these tiles and re-fix them" whether they'll look at me pityingly or if they'll say "right-oh, no problem".

As it is, I know that they'll be thinking I f'd it all up in the first place.... :cry:

As DAZB posts, how successfully the tiles come off the wall without damage will only become clear when you try. I would use a grout rake or a Fein (but never used one personally) rather than Dremel & once you’ve got one off (which may break), the rest may be easier to prise away; or maybe not. If it’s crap adhesive, a good soaking behind the tiles may help once you’ve got one off. It depends what adhesive was used, if it comes away stuck to the tile or stays on the wall, usually a good indicator of what went wrong. If the tile base wasn’t sound, you could find that comes away stuck to the back of the tile as well which will not only leave the wall in a state, it maybe difficult to clean off & reclaim the tile.

To try & establish what went wrong & prevent a repetition, what size/weight & type are the tiles? what is the tile base? & do you know what addy & if any primer was used?

I would still recommend you use a tiler for the remedial work, like all trades there are some idiots around & unfortunately some wouldn’t pass the trade’s description act but you’ve still got a better chance than leaving it to a builder.

Sponsored Links
The most annoying thing when trying to remove some tiles and not others, is a tiny corner piece of tile breaking off, normally the glaze.

Best chance is if you rake out the grout and carefully remove them.

Had to do this last week, hated it..!

As DAZB posts, how successfully the tiles come off the wall without damage will only become clear when you try. I would use a grout rake or a Fein (but never used one personally) rather than Dremel & once you’ve got one off (which may break), the rest may be easier to prise away; or maybe not.
The ones I'm thinking about are no longer stuck to the wall - they move when pressed/pulled.

If the tile base wasn’t sound, you could find that comes away stuck to the back of the tile as well which will not only leave the wall in a state, it maybe difficult to clean off & reclaim the tile.
True - Plan A is to see if the tiles are still available, if they are then the mission becomes one of getting the dodgy ones off without damaging the ones which are soundly stuck down and can stay.

If not, and if they can't be removed and reclaimed then it's a re-tile of the whole room. :evil:

what size/weight & type are the tiles?
Just regular 200mm x 300mm wall tiles, 6-7mm thick.

what is the tile base?
Plastered brick/block.

& do you know what addy & if any primer was used?
IHNI.

I'm not one of those who tries to cover up his bodging by blaming someone else - if I screw up I 'fess up.

My involvement with this job ended at the choosing and supplying of the tiles....

Just regular 200mm x 300mm wall tiles, 6-7mm thick.

Plastered brick/block.
Tiles that size should be well within the weight limit for plaster base - 20kg/sqm including addy. They are, however, getting near the maximum size for ready mix tub addy if that’s what was used; I usually switch to cement powder addy much above 250x250mm. Tub addy relies on evaporative cure & can take an age to set behind large tiles & this causes adhesion problems; sometimes it never sets properly & they eventually become loose/fall off. It’s also important to use quality trade products, the cheap own brand/DIY stuff is mostly crap, hence my questions about specific brands & primer.

Once you’ve got the tiles off & can see what’s going on behind there, post back if you need further advice.

I removed tiles that had been drilled.
I racked the grout out, then hit the centre of the tile till it broke, once you get into the first tile you can get to the others.
Patience is what is required.

To start you will need to ensure the actual adhesive it behind the wall, as others have said it isn’t the grout which holds the tile in place it’s the adhesive. It might be a lot easier in the long run to remove as many as you can in one piece and then apply fresh adhesive which at least you will know is there and working.

To start you will need to ensure the actual adhesive it behind the wall, as others have said it isn’t the grout which holds the tile in place it’s the adhesive.
I know it's not the grout that holds them on

It might be a lot easier in the long run to remove as many as you can in one piece and then apply fresh adhesive which at least you will know is there and working.
Removing the tiles is what I want to do.

That's why I posted this topic - to ask about removing the tiles.
how feasible is it to cut right through the grouting with a Dremel or a Fein and remove just the dodgy ones?

My concern is that
When I've removed tiles before, adjacent ones to the one I'm prising off always break, but I've never tried cutting through the grout first.

Can it be done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back