removing spyware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My computer is getting slower and slower. My girlfriend downloads free games so I suppose that's how they enter. can I buy something to clear all the junk out?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Prentice, to be honest, I did do that. However, I'm no computer whizzkid and after the stories of people downloading protection software only for it to be a scam where the crims then commit identity fraud with what they've sucked out of your computer, I'd like one of you learned lot to recommend something that I can feel safe about buying and installing.

Sponsored Links
1. Click Start ->Control panel then click add or remove software.

Anything thats not critical (never used) remove it. Then clean out your
Recycle Bin

2. In my computer click on the hard drive usually C:

Right click and pick properties.
Click clean disk and it will give you the option to remove more unwanted
software. Click OK to everything

The above steps will increase your speed no end. But out in properties if you click on tools you can choose to Defragment the hard drive it will take a while but again speed things up.

3. Then hide the computer telling the girlfriend that the computer is broke and the man in the shop is asking 150 quid to fix it. He said "Its all the free software corrupted the hard drive".

4. Or should I say your X

Morning,

The advice above is spot on. (hiding the computer and telling her porkies might be a bit extreme though :rolleyes: )

The free games you get can and do come bloated with little nasties so the more you download and install...the more spyware that comes along for the ride.

Uninstall all the programs etc you don't use anymore then download and run Malwarebytes Anti-malware program. Let it do its checks and remove the spyware it flags up. If you want a second spyware program, the spybot s&d is also excellent.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.htm

How good is your antivirus software? If you think its missed something, run the free virus scanner from trend micro.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Lastly, defrag the hard drive. It can take a while but if its not been done for an iceage, it will help.

Best of luck

Bolty.

1. Click Start ->Control panel then click add or remove software.

Anything thats not critical (never used) remove it. Then clean out your
Recycle Bin
How do you determine what is not critical or never used?
Sorry but I am too a novice when comes to this sort of stuff and it scares me when I look at those files/programs, not having a clue what they do or operate!
3. Then hide the computer telling the girlfriend that the computer is broke and the man in the shop is asking 150 quid to fix it. He said "Its all the free software corrupted the hard drive".
sounds like good advise
4. Or should I say your X
sounds like better advice, how do we do this?

Yes it is a bit scary, just look at the details to the right of each file and it should tell you it it was used recently. But all the games will be easily recognizable (bat man, Robin etc) don't touch the important stuff like windows. you just have to be ruthless

You could try out in programs:

Start ---> all programs ---> Accessories ----> Entertainment and uninstall all games. The trouble is most of the games wont have an uninstall button. Delete may not take all the game completely off the hard drive. At least this way you cant touch anything else, so may be worth a look.

Sorry don't generally give girlfriend advice !!!
Like I said you just have to be ruthless.
:evil:

PS I find using Firefox instead of Internet explorer helps.

I will have a go at getting rid of some of the old stuff, some programs date back to 2005. I have listed them in order of last time used, most of the programs are coming up as used rarely.
Will it be okay to delete these?
I also have security updates that go back a year or so ago, some can't be removed, but some can, do I leave them alone or get shut?

How d'you know it's spyware slowing you down? Truth is you don't know, do some homework - takes little time - clear the stuff which is pretty much known not to matter, like lots of temporary files etc - use Ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/products) works for me, that is, running it hasn't resulted in any loss of functionality that I have noticed - I have umpteen progs some of which may not be run for lengthy periods - I'd be pizzed if I had deleted them for no better reason than frequency of use.

Then with a relatively clean machine you can really delve into the works.

Alt+Ctrl+Delete will open Windows Task Manager. If, on the "Processes" tab, you left-click on "CPU" or on "Mem Usage" it will sort them by % used, and you can see what the top users are. Might be informative.

I will have a go at getting rid of some of the old stuff, some programs date back to 2005. I have listed them in order of last time used, most of the programs are coming up as used rarely.
Will it be okay to delete these?
I also have security updates that go back a year or so ago, some can't be removed, but some can, do I leave them alone or get shut?

Don't get rid of security updates.

1. But if you do as above on the hard drive and do a disk clean first. It will take away all temporary Internet files.

2. Do as above and do a defragment on the drive takes a while but worth it.

3. Go into add remove software and remove all that look like games

4. This should give you a bit more speed?

In my experience if you don't use the software and the computer is getting old then remove it. It makes life allot simpler.
Obviously if you have pictures of the X hold on to them, otherwise remove.

Thanks all for your help, I've loaded up spybot, but sadly it didn't find anything. I'll have to load up that malware thing n see if that finds some nasties. I'm using Kaspersky for antivirus and I recall that my computer does a regular autodefrag monthly.

On reflection, I don't think my girlfriend is spending enough time making cakes and doing the hoovering :LOL:

Download and run HitmanPo. When it's finished scanning click the 'free 30 days' button.

I had problems recently with my PC and a mates. Malwarebytes didn't find a thing which I found surprising as it's usually very good. I downloaded HitmanPro and used the free 30 day version. It found quite a bit of Malware on mine and a huge amount on my mates PC. In my opinion it's excellent.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

Sponsored Links
Back