removing stair riers

State what, can you not read?

I've directed you to the items in the regulations and even given you the page numbers. Once you have read the highlighted (copies of the photies posted purely for you my petal) please come back and explain exactly which words in the regulations you do not understand and I shall attempt to help you. ;)

it is guidance and not a legal requirement... how can it be when it states " if likely" so i do stand corrected...

Sponsored Links
You cannot remove a stair in a dwelling and replace it with something that is worse in terms of regulations. Just because Building Regulations Approval need not be sought for a replacement staircase does not mean the works are not subject to meeting the Approved documents. Once the old stair is removed it must be replaced with a staircase no worse than the one it replaced, the regulations apply to the replacement staircase. I expect it is written down in the depths of some document somewhere or other, I cannot be bothered to trawl the web to find it just for a troll. If you have the balls, phone you local Building Control tomorrow and ask them. ;)

You cannot remove a stair in a dwelling and replace it with something that is worse in terms of regulations. Just because Building Regulations Approval need not be sought for a replacement staircase does not mean the works are not subject to meeting the Approved documents. Once the old stair is removed it must be replaced with a staircase no worse than the one it replaced, the regulations apply to the replacement staircase. I expect it is written down in the depths of some document somewhere or other, I cannot be bothered to trawl the web to find it just for a troll. If you have the balls, phone you local Building Control tomorrow and ask them. ;)

it can be replaced like for like.... but you digress

again....

The OP cannot lawfully replace their staircase with a staircase with open treads with gaps bigger than 99mm. Comprende Muppet?

and lets not forget your hilarious post earlier:

heeelllooo and welcome psycho49 :D :D :D

you need to buy a new staircase as half the strength off the treads is the support given by the risers

your treads will sound like a haunted house with all the creaking and groaning :rolleyes:

also to comply with building regs no gap bigger than 99mm is permitted on any part off the stairs and banisters

that is rubbish... you are talking about a fire exit... a common staircase in a dwelling has none of those regulations...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A message for the OP - the building regulations are written as they are because young children can die where there are large gaps in stairs.

The rules/guidelines are not there for cosmetic reasons.

They may well be guidelines, but,, when BC fail them, you can't use the excuse that they are just guidelines and ignore BC.
Therefore, although not a regulation, they are something more than a guideline.
;) ;) ;) ;)

you need to buy a new staircase as half the strength off the treads is the support given by the risers

your treads will sound like a haunted house with all the creaking and groaning :rolleyes:

also to comply with building regs no gap bigger than 99mm is permitted on any part off the stairs and banisters

that is rubbish... you are talking about a fire exit... a common staircase in a dwelling has none of those regulations...

i thought that thread is dead nowt more to be said
how wrong i was lol
i thought the only reply would be "best aim for 95mm to allow for turnings on the spindles or movement in the wood :eek: :eek: ;)

i thought that thread is dead nowt more to be said
how wrong i was lol
i thought the only reply would be "best aim for 95mm to allow for turnings on the spindles or movement in the wood :eek: :eek: ;)

join the jo boys... and good luck to you... another know nothing old man

so enlighten me..

join the jo boys... and good luck to you... another know nothing old man

so enlighten me..

well i wish you luck and hope you prosper
i only post what i believe to be reasonably accurate but never dangerous information knowingly
i will appologise if i give wrong incorrect or misleading information
i dont do personal but dont care if you choose to be personal as others will judge you by your own words and me by what i say
:D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back