Removing Stripped Cap Heads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have some light fittings recessed into the patio / drive.

They take GU10 LED lamps. The front is held on with 3mm cap head screws.
Two of the three screws in this one have failed and I've managed to strip them.

Any suggestions on getting them out? I looked at a screw removal tool but they all seem to be too big.

View media item 73799
Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
Perhaps wait for a better answer but you could try using something like a screwdriver and hammer to knock the screw anti clockwise.

either

a) Hammer a bigger BIT into the middle so it will grip and then turn,
b) chissel some grooves either side, so a large flat bladded screw driver will unscrew it.
c) drill the head off

If you cannot loosen them using screwdriver bit and small spanner ratchet, then once head protruding enough to turn with grips.
Then an extractor bit will help, there are plenty of sets of differing sizes available.

Sponsored Links
Better to use an easing/penetrating fluid - WD40 isn't actually all that good in that respect compared to others.

Just as an update, finally got round to doing this job.

I managed to get all the stripped heads out by forcing in the square nut of an Irwin screwdriver. Don't know why I didn't use my trusty Irwin before - it's never let me down yet!

One was too far gone though and after trying various things I ended up shelling out £14 for this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-grabit-screw-and-bolt-remover-2-pieces/21391

Worked an absolute charm after the £4 ones didn't touch it and it was straight out. Beautiful.

Put some grease on the new cap heads too so I can hopefully avoid this in the future.

Thanks for the help all

by cap-head, do you mean Allen key, spline or similar?

Are they stainless, and do they screw into stainless?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back