Removing Textured Coatings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved house and one room has got a textured coating (similar to Artex) on the walls. Its 'orrible!
Any suggestions how I can remove the coating apart from scraping for the next 20 years! Is there any chemicals that work? The plaster underneath should be OK as the house isn't that old. I would prefer not to have to reskim with plaster. (3 of the existing walls are plaster on masonry, 1 is drylined).
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it's Artex, its water soluble so get yourself a decent steamer (around £30) & working on an area about ½ a square metre a time, use this to soften the emulsion paint; you will find you can peel off the paint in large chunks. As soon as you’ve removed the paint film, apply the steamer again to the same area until the Artex is very damp & use a stiff scraper to carefully scrape it off; wash off any residual immediately with a sponge. The only fly in the ointment is you may have problems if the Artex was applied directly to plasterboard without a proper plaster skim - unlikely on a wall!

I’ve stripped half my ceilings of the dreadful stuff like this, it takes time but is less hassle than skimming &, if you’re careful with the scraper, only limited remedial filling is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back