removing the tile adhesive from the tile gaps to grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just finished tiling the bathroom and removed as much of the adhesive as possible as I went, but I have noticed a few places on the tiles where there is some left and more of a problem is the fact some of it has squeezed up toward the front of the tile leaving hardly any gap to grout. Again I removed as I went along as much as I noticed, but there is still some to remove, any ideas of best way?

I tried a scraper but it seems to make grey scratches on the tiles which are very hard to clean off. They are ceramic tiles and I do not know if these marks are scratches or just marks on top of the shiny surface. These tiles are a little shiny but not the highly shined up ones.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The marks on your tiles will more than likely be scratches, probably caused by your scraper. You will also have to be careful you don't chip the edges of the tiles whilst trying to remove the excess adhesive between the joints. If it's just bits here and there, then persevere with it, wet the excess bits with a damp sponge, and carefuly use the end of a "small" screwdriver rather than a scraper. When most of it has been removed and it has dried out, try rubbing a sharply folded piece of "rough" sandpaper,again, carefuly up and down, and along the joints.That works too. You'll get rid of it in the end, but you'll know better next time. ;)

An extra to the above: Any adhesive on the face of the tile would be better removed with warm water. Let it soften up and then sponge it off, or even use your fingernail here and there.Never use anything abrasive,scouring pads, or sharp objects, especially on shiny surfaces, tiles,worktops, mirrors etc.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back