Removing thermoplastic tiles from concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing up my 70s built house and will be about to start doing the kitchen, which will get a tiled floor. There is currently thermoplastic tiles on the whole of the downstairs. Have took out the old kitchen and there aren't any where the old cabinets are.

I have no problem with ripping up the old tiles (I'm aware of possible asbestos etc and know what precautions to take), but I have heard that these tiles can act as damp proofing. Do I need to seal the concrete with anything after I have lifted all the old tiles? The house was built on a raft foundation if that changes anything.

Sponsored Links
It would be prudent once you have removed these tiles properly using correct precautions and disposed of

You can use a good quality liquid membrane made by Sika to paint the surface,this will act as damp course for you

No problem there - we have disposable asbestos removal kits on the shelf at work and the local tip will take it. Have had a look at the Sika range, is it something like Sikabond Rapid DPM that I'm after?

Will I need to remove the old adhesive, it is a black bitumen like substance that apparently also contains asbestos. The tiles don't worry me but I would like to avoid disturbing the adhesive too much.

Can I apply the sealant with the old adhesive still in situ or does it have to be removed? I would then hopefully be able to tile straight on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back