Cork Tiles Over Thermoplastic Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room with thermoplastic tiles on a concrete floor. 1970s build so tiles almost certainly contain some asbestos. The tiles are quite brittle now - but there is only minor damage in a few places around the edges of the room. Otherwise they provide a nice flat sealed surface. So I was thinking of laying cork tiles directly on top of them.

Don't really fancy taking up all the tiles given the likely asbestos content. And if I took them up I'd need some sort of underlay between the concrete floor and the cork tiles anyway - so these seem as good as anything.

- Anyone forsee any problems with this?

- In years to come if I wanted to take up the cork tiles anyone care to predict what might happen? Would the bond between the cork tiles and the thermoplastic tiles be likely to be stronger than the aged bond between the old tiles and the concrete? I'm thinking it might turn out to be possible to prize up the old thermoplastic tiles now bonded to cork above them (surely easier than removing cork tiles directly).

Sponsored Links
Cork tiles? :eek:

I would not envisage problems if the thermoplastics are solid. If you take the cork up at a much later date it will probably bring up some thermosplastic tiles too - who knows though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back