Removing tile from Hardiebacker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiling on the DIY bathroom refurb is almost finished but have noticed a mistake i made around the bath which means the brick pattern lines are slightly out on a couple of tiles - pretty stupid mistake in hindsight.

It's probably going to annoy me long term so was hoping to fix it, but not sure about getting tiles off of Hardiebacker - will it be possible to remove a couple of tiles without destroying the backer board? If it's going to be destructive i'll learn to live with it.

Sponsored Links
Had an angle on one of the tiles from underneath the bath so gave it a try and it came away alright which is a) good but b) slightly concerning.

I did have to chisel the tile off so adhesion seems ok, but the adhesive underneath is still a bit pliable in places. Is that normal for waterproof adhesive due to the waterproof additives? The bits exposed to air were solid enough but was soft in places underneath. Was tiled maybe three days ago.

Last edited:
If you were using tubs of adhesive it is not unexpected. The powder based fillers have cement and cure much faster. The tub stuff can take weeks if really thick.

Sponsored Links
If you were using tubs of adhesive it is not unexpected. The powder based fillers have cement and cure much faster. The tub stuff can take weeks if really thick.

cheers - i used a tub of waterproof for around the bath/shower but powdered for the rest which did go off really quick and set solid so found this a bit weird, but seems ok from what you've said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back