Removing tiles whitout damaging them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there any way to remove tiles without damaging them?

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
I don't know if there's an official way, but I've recently removed some from behind my bathroom cabinet to replace some that have screw holes in where I've changed the shower. I have to admit to breaking the first one though.

Click here for post with before & after photos

I cut through the grout and into the plaster with a sharp knife to isolate the tile from those around it, then with a bent piece of metal scraped as much adhesive from behind the edge of tile as I could, gently tugging and working it until it came loose. Once the first tile is off, the others are easier as a metal strip can be worked gently under the tile from where the first one was removed. Just be gentle, take your time and make sure the grout is removed.

If there are several you are removing give them a gentle tap with a light metallic object, or your knuckle to see if any of them sound "hollow" if one does start with that one as it won't be stuck on so well.

I'll give that a go. I'm trying to remove some tiles in the kitchen to allow an electrician to add a couple sockets.

I didn't fancy re-tiling the whole kitchen.

I may cut the first tile in situ with an angle grinder, where the metal box is going so I can then easily get under the next tiles along where the cables will run.

Cheers

G

A dremel with a diamond cutting wheel will give a neater and less damaging result than an angle grinder. I'd even be tempted to use the dremel to accurately cut your electrical box aperture without having to remove any tiles.

Sponsored Links
Bosch 180e with tile blade, simples.Ideally wet rear of tiles to be removed intack and keep wet overnight, will soften adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back