removing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in a new house and the person before me put slate tiles down in the kitchen which i am about to remove!! sounds easy huh? but he has put the cement straight onto the floor surface without any cement-board or even some thin ply-wood. Taking the tiles off is easy but i cannot remove the cement s it is solid. the floor is normal heavy particle board but it cant take much punishment! at the moment i have tried a wide chisel but its hard work!!!!!! Any ideas please :confused:

Sponsored Links
use your hammer action hilti with bolster chisel tool, you will need to replace that substrate board anyway I suspect

thanks for quick reply.
I have been at it all day and have removed about a dozen tiles so far and under every other tile there is a big dolop of cement that is very hard to remove, the floor underneath seems ok so far as it is just the big panels, i think if i just remove the high spots then lay a leveling compound and then a thin ply over that do you think that will work?
I just needed advice on the best way to remove the cement although i think i am just looking for an easy way to do it other than hard work!!!!!!
I have just under 20mm clearance to play with so how thick would a compound need to be to give the best option?
thanks again in advance
grayman :D

grayman
take a Pneumatic Drill to it , lol ...only kidding ,

that boarding is awful , rip it up crowbar , get it off Gordon from HL2 ;)

smash the lot out but dont TOUCH the joists they are SAINTLY ,LOL

If you want to tile finish , you need a 18mm ply substrate on noggin joists all screwed down an all wood splashed/ soaked in wood preservative

Sponsored Links
thanks again
I am going to keep the original floor and try to remove tiles i hope!!!!
From the original floor to the under-side of the doors are about 20mm i just need to get an even surface to put a new flooring down although i ain't sure what its gonna be yet but heavy-duty vinyl looks the best option so my wife tells me!!!!!! I am just a slave
grayman

scabby doo ,
no mention of vinyl?
take care
scooby doo =moz

grayman8 said:
i just need to get an even surface to put a new flooring down although i ain't sure what its gonna be yet but heavy-duty vinyl looks the best option
And I quote.

The tiles that are down are all uneven!!! I think that the lad that put them down had help from Mr Miller,Mr Bud and Mrs Smirnoff.
The tiles are very dangerous, i have tripped many times SOBER!!! :D

grayman8
a drunk laid them you say , *moz ponders wether he worked up there *lol :)

Drunk?????????
Bad eyesight!!
No spirit- level!!!!!
No talent!!!!!
Thats wot the dude had in abundance!!
One tile had 17mm cement underneath coz it woz so thin!!!!!
I have removed almost half so far, my knees are done.back done,my poor hammer and bolster done.
I still have high spots of cement on floor any other way of taking that off or is it just more banging and clattering i wonder?
I am sure Moz could not do a half a**ed as bad as this?
cheers grayman

grayman8
listen cock ..:)
"I am sure Moz could not do a half a**ed as bad as this? "

My job would outlive you an grandkids , lol

Im away from it now an miss it to bits ,
Im a perfectionist ,

ok as Top tiler but not when , just this monday I tried to get a start with a agency firm , for piece work bathroom jobs , an found the DIY SHEDs, are the main players ,a floor span 2m by 3m , just tile on floor an walls , going rate is to you = £250
materials an tiles supplied ,
I asked about substrate an what happens if the tile fail due to their substrate ..
well you been paid ...hmmm

thats who suplies the sheds
charming , lol :)

No life aint fair!!!!!
I am knocking the lid off a bottle of 18 year old and i am gonna finish it tonite
and do the floor another day :D :D :D :D :D :D
ps my substrate is solid
yahoo!!!

grayman8
if we could give numbers , I would eat that job up for you , an love , :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back