Removing Toilet Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to lift cistern away from wall but angle valve supply in the way. I'm assuming I can't rotate the angle valve arm and the only answer is unscrewing the nut to the right of the angle valve. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Toilet_25_11_2023.JPG

Sponsored Links
So long as you isolate the supply, I can't see anything wrong with your plan. It does however look like cistern has been glued in to place with silicone.

Which country are you in?

A photo from further away may help others to advise you- I have never seen a set up like that- but I am not a plumber.

I've removed the silicone so the cistern will pull away from wall. Used the angle valve to isolate the supply. I'm based in London

I've removed the silicone so the cistern will pull away from wall. Used the angle valve to isolate the supply. I'm based in London

Fair play.

I am guessing that you will additionally need to loosen the wingnuts, or similar where the cistern meets the pan.

Out of interest, does the cistern not have any screws that hold it to the wall?

Sponsored Links
I've removed the wingnuts. You were right - looks like the cistern was glued with silicone - no screws to hold it to wall

Have you now managed to remove it?

If not you can try to use a hand saw to cut through the old silicone. Wedge it forward though, the teeth on the saw may scratch the tiles otherwise.

Re. the original question, you are right, you will have to separate the inlet valve pipe from the valve.

1. Shut down the valve with the notched handle by turning the handle clockwise. Make sure the water is off by flushing the toilet and making sure it doesn't refill.
2. Loosen the nut on the pipe immediately to the right of the valve. Slowly. A little water may come out but should stop in seconds. When it does, fully undo nut. If it doesn't stop coming out, you will have to isolate the supply elsewhere.
3. You may have to loosen the nut at the other end of the pipe, where it goes into the threaded brass shank of the inlet valve. Remove the nut. If there is an olive (copper or brass) round the pipe you will have to remove it, so will need a replacement. Looks like 15mm pipe, but check first. If there is an olive, but it is plastic or rubber, slide it over the pipe towards the valve. This should enable you to slide the pipe inside the shank and give enough room to remove the pipe from the valve.

Thanks - I will be carefully loosen nut on pipe - if there is problem with angle valve have to shut water off in street and I don't want to do that if I can help it

Also I have a slight drip from inlet valve when I shut off angle valve but I'm hoping that won't be a problem when I loosen nut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back