Toilet nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I need some advice here. The old toilet fill valve was not working and underneath were the nut is was secured by silicone. Changed that and now I can see the angle of the nut is slightly angled. The nut can’t fully close and it just keeps leaking. Any way on sorting this issue out ?

Attachments

• iOS Image - 1704480562.png
    iOS Image - 1704480562.png
    851 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
The valve stem is cocked to one side, was there not a rubber cone washer for fitting inside the cistern.

The valve stem is cocked to one side, was there not a rubber cone washer for fitting inside the cistern.
Yes there was I fitted that inside. But it seeps through and the nut can’t fully go up.

Yes there was I fitted that inside. But it seeps through and the nut can’t fully go up.
That is because the stem is leaning over, suggest you remove all parts and silicone (which shouldnt be required underneath) and start again.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the internal cone shaped washer and inside of cistern base ,and float valve. Something is preventing the float valve from sitting upright ,you may have the wrong type.

That is because the stem is leaning over, suggest you remove all parts and silicone (which shouldnt be required underneath) and start again.
The problem is it don’t fit straight. Because of the toilet. Probably why they used silicone before

Show us a pic of the internal cone shaped washer and inside of cistern base ,and float valve. Something is preventing the float valve from sitting upright ,you may have the wrong type.
This was the previous one I replaced

Attachments

• C050965D-5E3F-4388-AC0F-F573E5DD8F7B.png
    C050965D-5E3F-4388-AC0F-F573E5DD8F7B.png
    946.9 KB · Views: 73
Looks like it's the wrong type ,and is binding on the cistern wall.
What's your new one like ? If it's the same as the pic ,it's the same issue !

I don’t have the pic of the new one.but it isn’t the same model. It’s like this one

Attachments

• F06E12E1-96BB-4692-9B55-02D6F46F2A44.png
    F06E12E1-96BB-4692-9B55-02D6F46F2A44.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 41
Which one would you recommend getting then if it’s the wrong one ?

If that doesn't fit your cistern must be a very tapered shape. Is it wide at the top ,and much narrower at the base . Sounds like you need a very basic ,slimline , fill valve.
Take a look at Screwfix code 8120T, check your cistern height as that valve is around 390 mm height.

If that doesn't fit your cistern must be a very tapered shape. Is it wide at the top ,and much narrower at the base . Sounds like you need a very basic ,slimline , fill valve.
Take a look at Screwfix code 8120T, check your cistern height as that valve is around 390 mm height.
I’m just confused as the other one was at an angle too but was not leaking. But it was covered in silicone at the bottom. I took all the silicone out to put the new one in. It has a cone shaped washer and I placed that correctly in the cistern

What are you confused about ? It didn't sit square and was bodged with a load of silicone. Float valves do not need any silicone whatsoever to seal To a cistern.

Is the new float touching the cistern at all? If it is, angle it away. Also scrape off that silicone and plumbers mait (putty).

What are you confused about ? It didn't sit square and was bodged with a load of silicone. Float valves do not need any silicone whatsoever to seal To a cistern.
Confused about the new toilet fill valve not being able to seal. It works fine but it just comes through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back