Leaky isolation nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just finished installing a new flush valve in my toilet and have been trying to reconnect the isolation valve to the fill valve again. There was a slight leak so I cleaned out the inside of the brass nut and replaced the fibre washer with a new one. The leak unfortunately got worse. I have tightened the nut as far as I dare considering the warnings of overtightening onto a plastic thread.

I have seen plenty online about leaks between the brass nut and the plastic thread but my leak seems to be originating from the tiny gap underneath the brass nut where it slides up and down the pipe. (See photo) Is this a faulty isolation valve or should I be buying some plumbers tape instead?

Any advice appreciated.

Nic

Attachments

• 20201021_180416.jpg
    20201021_180416.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
It'll be a faulty service valve - the top connection part can sometimes come unscrewed from the body. Can be repaired but might be easier to just get a new one

Thanks muggles. I will try a new one as I don't mind spending a few extra quid to save hours of frustration.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi all.

Just finished installing a new flush valve in my toilet and have been trying to reconnect the isolation valve to the fill valve again. There was a slight leak so I cleaned out the inside of the brass nut and replaced the fibre washer with a new one. The leak unfortunately got worse. I have tightened the nut as far as I dare considering the warnings of overtightening onto a plastic thread.

I have seen plenty online about leaks between the brass nut and the plastic thread but my leak seems to be originating from the tiny gap underneath the brass nut where it slides up and down the pipe. (See photo) Is this a faulty isolation valve or should I be buying some plumbers tape instead?

Any advice appreciated.

Nic

Buy a fill valve with a brass thread..The plastic is ALWAYS a nightmare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back