Removing trickle vents - what to fill with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy some windows from gumtree to fit into my concrete post/panel garage. The problem is that the only windows I've found which fit have trickle vents on them. I need to fit the windows sideways to fit the gap, which means that the trickle vent will be vertical. I'm guessing that won't be good when it rains?

IMG-20150131-WA0001_zpseb27f622.jpg

If I take the vent off, what can I fill the holes/slot with?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I’m no window expert but won’t all the drainage holes end up being on the side? Meaning your frame could fill up with water and eventually leak inside?

Hmmmm... Good point. Hadn't thought of that - I can't see any drain holes at the bottom of that picture I posted though?

The inside of the window doesn't seem to have any drain holes either:

IMG-20150131-WA0000.jpg

Or are the drain holes somewhere out of sight? Like the underside of the window?

If those windows were to be fitted with a cill then it'll be concealed drainage, using the handle for reference turn the window upside down and have a look for two 1" slots at each end

While the window is out you can fill the slots up with silicone and then drill fresh ones along the edge you need

Then all you need to do is cover the trickle vent slots :confused:

Sponsored Links
Crank & Freddy - thank you very much! I think I'll go for these windows and do exactly as you suggested.

There's a few PVC fillers I've come across so I'll give those a go and try and get a decent finish by sanding from 80 to 2000 grit and finish up with some G3 rubbing compound. Should look ok from a few feet away! :)

Cheers!

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back