Removing underlay glued to concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've pulled up a seagrass carpet that was laid over a concrete floor. It had a heavy rubber underlay that was glued to the floor. When the underlay comes up, it leaves a rubber crumb glued firmly to the concrete.

Any advice on a good tool to get it off? It's a big room, so I'm looking for an approach that won't take all weekend. I've had a go with standard paint scrapers and a spade (!) with little effect. Then I had a go with white spirit, which did break down the glue, but I had to use so much that it would cost less to dig out the floor and pour a new one. And after ten minutes I was hallucinating from the fumes. Then in desperation I whacked the steamer-stripper on it, but the resulting mess was unspeakable.

It's like a scene form "Carry on Carpetting here". No, actually "Some mothers do ave em" is closer to the mark. Can anyone chuck any wise words my way?

Sponsored Links
Sorry can't help much, had the same problem once, just had to make sure spade egde was kept sharp with a file regularly. This post might do better in flooring/ :idea:

you can buy a floor scraper, has a massive very sharp blade on the end designed to lift tiles, that should do the job, or wickes do a little version for wall paper that will do a decent job. depends how big the room is, i think screw fix do the floor version.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back