removing varnish from a bannister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.
I want to strip the varnish from my bannister rail. Sanding it would be really messy and a lengthy process. Can anyone recommend a product to paint on that would help with this. It will be an indoor job as i cannot remove it outside. It is a well ventilated area.
Many thanks
samantha :D

Sponsored Links
nitromorse..... give it a good soaking first then after you've got the majority off,put some more nitromors in a suitable container and re-do the bannister with a fine wire wool thats been soaked in the nitromors..when you think its all off,clen down with white spirits,meths and bobs yer uncle ;)

dont forget P.P.E. Goggles and suitable rubber gloves are essential with plenty of ventillation ;)

Before you head for Nitromors or any other methylene chloride stripper, what type of varnish do you have on your bannisters? Is your property old or newish? If it's old, the varnish may be shellac based, inwhich case Meths will do.

Sponsored Links
The house was built in 86 but its quite a bad varnish job so i suspect it was done by a previous owner. its quite soft wood i think and very pale underneath, and strips away very easy with sandpaper but its the spindle's that make me want to use a product as it will take so long and it a big staircase.Shall i try meths first :?:

you could try meths first for the cheapest option but i recon you'll be nirtomorsing them later,

You can never cover up a bad job by adding something on top. It has to start good, and then you have to work at it to make it better.

Actually, :idea: they dont look that bad now that i look at them, I may just leave it, save up and then pay someone else to do it :LOL:
Many thanks for all the advice fellas
You can tell i'm female :?: (yes, i changed it)

Actually, :idea: they dont look that bad now that i look at them, I may just leave it, save up and then pay someone else to do it :LOL:
Many thanks for all the advice fellas
You can tell i'm female :!:
From this angle :!: yes it is a bit of a give away :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back