Removing very old 'vinyl' wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Mrs is having a hard time removing some kitchen wallpaper. The building is 1950's/60's, so it could go back that far, as there are many layers on top of it!

She say's it's very plasticky, so won't soak, and there doesn't seem much point in getting a steamer.

So, any ideas what it is, how we can remove it, and most importantly, how to get the remaining glue of the wall, as it seems happy sitting there in a lumpy layer!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Much of this was intended to be ripped off the wall (start at one corner and pull) leaving a papery base layer which would be wallpapered over.

I remember covering schoolbooks with the ripped-off vinyl layer.

You would still be better off with a steamer. It will say hours and you wont end up with blisters from the scraper.

You need to perforate the paper so that the steam can get behind the surface layer.

Some people use a stanley knife- I prefer a paper tiger, less damage to the paper and walls and quicker/safer

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...er-tiger-wallcovering-scorer-triple-head.html

After running the tiger over the wall i soak the paper and leave it for a while before turning on the steamer.

The above will work even if someone has painted vinyl silk over the paper.

Great, thanks. we've just bought a steamer. didn't know about the Tiger, looks ideal. I'll see if she can get one at B&Q tomorrow :confused:

Sponsored Links
Could even be "tiling on a roll" well heavy duty stuff - I did my bathroom with it in the `80s - when we were poor and paying 15% mortgage rate - and Poll Tax - thanks to Mrs. Thatcher :evil:

And now we are in depression thanks to Mr Brown. :cry:

And now we are in depression thanks to Mr Brown. :cry:

Err... I thought that we were in a global depression??? The result of l greed and therisky pursuit of stort term gains.

Brown wasn't that influential...

Point taken.

BTW if B&Q don't do the tiger they might sell something similar such as something that looks like a roller with spikes sticking out of it.

They may also sell a wallpaper stripper liquid- this is enzyme based and better than using washing up liquid in the water but neither washing up liquid or the liquid stripper should be used in the stripper.

For any strips of paper that are too small to cover with the steamer plate I use thick red pvc type gloves, remove the plate and point the hose at the area in question.

Important do not let the steamer sit in any one position for too long, you run the risk of the steam getting into hairline cracks in the finish coat of plaster and "blowing" it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back