Removing wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother would like me to redecorate her lounge. As part of this she wants a a pair of wall lights removing, but the third one leaving in place.

At the moment the three lights are operated by a single switch. So I would need to remove the two lights, blank off the wiring and then fill in the hole.

What would be the best method to safely and permanently blank off the remaining wiring?

Sponsored Links
You will need to access the wiring from above (lift the floor in the room above.)

Pull the cables up from the wall and reconnect them using a permanent joint method (eg the proper crimp or solder and cover over the joint with heat shrink sleeving). Do not use a junction box with screwed terminals if the joint cannot be accessed.

You must not leave the live cables in the wall and plaster over the site of the old wall light. This is very dangerous as some future occupant will not know they are there and could drill through or drive anail into the cable - with potentially fatal results - it has happened.

I can't get to the floor in the room above as it is another flat - she's on the bottom floor of 3.

I'll probably try to persuade her to get rid of all three lights then, and isolate the wiring at the switch.

Don't worry I won't be leaving live wires in the walls!

Sponsored Links
If you replace lights with a blanking plate or similar so it can be seen there is an electrical connection there it would be permitted. The clock connector shown would allow easy replacement of lights in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back