Wall Light Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, apologies for the ignorance!
A wall light has been removed leaving the wires attached to the square gromet to which the two wires from the light should be attached to. As I am not replacing the light and basically covering the area, is it safe enough to just plaster over the existing wires and gromet or would it need "boxing off"? The light had its own pull cord and not operated from elsewhere. Once again, apologies for the ignorance!

Sponsored Links
Have you isolated the cable from the rest of the lighting circuit?

if you do plaster over, make sure you crimp and not use choc bloc. also, if you do plaster over them and they are still live, they need to be in earthed conduit. so itll have to be disconnected before it comes down the wall

Sponsored Links
You're right to ask the question but the answer is, as theshogun has already pointed out, another question: is it isolated? Have you any means of checking this?

Every cable has two ends and you, or a knowledgeable friend, MUST find the other end. Hopefully, it has been disconnected but I wouldn't leave it like that because, sure as eggs are eggs, somebody will come along many years later and try to hitch it up again! Since you don't ever want to use that wire again, I would cut it off where it first enters the plaster.

NB: You do that AFTER you've ascertained that it's been disconnected!

This eliminates any possibility of it ever being live in future. You can now cut the end you're looking at as far back as you can reach (that thing you're calling a grommet but which is almost certainly choc block can go) and plaster over the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back