Temporary wall light removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has moved into rented property for twelve months or so. She wants me to take down the horrible wall lights and take down and blank off one of the ceiling lights. She will have to get an Electrical certificate to prove any alterations are safe. So-
What is the best way to temporarily blank off the wall lights? She will hang pictures over the connections and I will put hooks either side of the terminal, and not directly above.
The ceiling fitting just has wires hanging out of the plasterboard, and the fitting is supported on a bracket. Would that be better if I fitted a ceiling rose and fitted the wires into that?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

Sponsored Links
To do a proper job, I would suggest using ceiling roses for all the lights.

The fixing holes on a ceiling rose line up with the fixing holes on MOST wall lights.

With a ceiling rose on the wall, I think a picture would cover it, bearing in mind pictures USED to stick out a bit at the top.

Thanks Sparkwright, never thought of that. Sometimes the simple things flow over my head. Ceiling rose!, wall!, does not compute!!!

Sponsored Links
Not sure which way to take the question, but according to the letting agent, if any electrical work is carried out, that my daughter wants, (presumably the Landlord is happy with his style of light fitting), she has to make sure that it will not be faulty and burn his house down. Should the problem be with the Landlords fitting being faulty, then that would be on him to repair it. My daughter has contemporary design ideas, whereas the landlord has brash gold plated fittings with glass shades. Hence the reason they are coming down.

No matter how horrible, the landlord owns it.

If he is happy that any fittings can be replaced, then you need to employ someone with the proper insurance.

If you do it and something goes wrong, it will be your fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back