Temporary wall light removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just the topic I was looking for - only in my case, it is the provision of a wall light connection prior to deciding on what lighting to have eventually.
I have just hacked out a length of 1/2" lead conduit that I think was from a gas light, so I have the opportunity to put lighting cable back into the channel. As far as I know, there are not standard "wall roses" corresponding to ceiling roses.
Elsewhere in my house, there was a small 240v junction box in the wall to which a clock was connected. This was spurred from a mains ring wall socket. Needless to say, I removed it. However, something of this sort, up to modern standards, for wall lights would be very useful. But I have never seen anything. It would make the changing of wall lights as easy as ceiling lights.

Sponsored Links
Normally architrave or round conduit boxes are used for wall lights, which gives plenty of space for the wiring and connections, and the lugs in the box allow for fixing the fitting. One size doesn't fit all though, and the cheap plaster uplighters often work best with a metal switch box in the wall.

Unless your house is large and industrial, and you are connecting big wall lights, there isn't really a compact wall light connecting point, the closest you will probably get is a clock point, but they aren't very decorative. The current MK ones are quite flat though. How often to you anticipate changing the lights!?

I would be going for either an architrave box or a conduit box if there isn't room in the fittings for the wiring connections. Just check the lights you want will cover the box

There are no 'wall roses' as such.

Buy lights which will cover any connections? Then you don't need anything.

Sponsored Links
This is one more option for installing a 'backbox' for your wall light. The M4 fixing points are the same spacing as conduit boxes so should fit a lot of lights. They are a bit wider but considerably shallower than a conduit box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back