Removing a ceiling light fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two ceiling lights in one room but would rather have just the one.

What's the best way to remove the unwanted light? It's furthest away from the light switch. Am I right in thinking the electric cable daisy chains from switch to light 1 and then to light 2? Which is the one I want to remove.

If so does that mean I just have to remove the wire going from light 1 to light 2?

Alternatively could I leave it all there but just terminate light 2 and cover it with a blank ceiling rose? Like how you can get blanking plates for walls. I tried to find something similar for ceiling lights but haven't had much luck - do they exist?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
What's the best way to remove the unwanted light?
With the power off, and without ending up with wires no longer connected the way they were before.

It's furthest away from the light switch. Am I right in thinking the electric cable daisy chains from switch to light 1 and then to light 2? Which is the one I want to remove.
You might be right. You won't know for sure until you look.

If so does that mean I just have to remove the wire going from light 1 to light 2?
Possibly. You won't know for sure until you look.

It's very important that you know and understand how lighting circuits are wired before you start making changes.

Alternatively could I leave it all there but just terminate light 2 and cover it with a blank ceiling rose? Like how you can get blanking plates for walls. I tried to find something similar for ceiling lights but haven't had much luck - do they exist?
You don't need to leave anything on the cieling if you don't want to - just make all the connections in a maintenance free junction box in the cieling void.

Are both lights controlled by one switch?

Do you have access above the ceiling?

What cables are at each light?

Can you send photos?

At worst you could have just a ceiling rose on the ceiling terminating the wires.

At best you won't see anything at all, so try and send more info.

Thanks. I'll try to get some photos tonight.

I have access to the above from the loft. I had a quick look but it's all covered by insulation so I'm gonna have to move all that first.

Both lights are controlled by one switch. I looked at the back of that plate and there are just the two wires. Live and L1. It's that which makes me assume the second light it powered from the first one.

Can you get blanking ceiling roses? My idea for doing that instead of putting them in a void is it means no plastering (which I'll probably mess up) and also it means if we change our mind down the line it's an easy fix.

Sponsored Links
If you look above a light and it only has ONE cable then you need the other one for disconnection. :)

Ceiling roses are nearly blank plates themselves - just a hole in the middle.
The web says yes, but I can't find any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back