Removing wall plugs from til

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put a new shower in and there is some plugs in the tile where the old one was screwed to. I going to try and get them out, I was thinking about screwing a screw into the plug then pulling out with pgrips. My worry here is the tile might pull off the wall. Any ideas or tips of a easier way appreciated ?

Sponsored Links
Drill then out, with a slightly smaller drill bit, you may then be able to remove the remains with tweezers?

Wotan

I find needle nosed pliers work best for removing plugs. Just grasp one part of the rim and wiggle the plug out.

you'll never get em out if you put a screw into em, that's what they're designed to do..

drilling out is the best option..
4.5mm - 5mm drill metal bit for reds, 6mm - 6.5mm for browns..

Sponsored Links
you can usually just punch the plugs below the surface. Put just the tip of a screw into the plug and tap it with a hammer. Once the plug is below the surface, undo the screw.

you'll never get em out if you put a screw into em, that's what they're designed to do..

Yes, indeed. Pliers will only work if the plug hasn't been used (for example if the hole drilled for it is slightly too shallow), or if it's come loose because the substrate has crumbled.

you can usually just punch the plugs below the surface. Put just the tip of a screw into the plug and tap it with a hammer. Once the plug is below the surface, undo the screw.

This!
Or.... what i tend to do is run one of those big decorators scrapers, (the ones with the approx. 4" sharp blade in them?) and it cuts the excess off, leaving it flush with the tile surface.

I find this make it easier to fill as the filler has something to grip onto rather than just a hole.
Although sinking the plug as JohnD said is a better method for this i think.

I always use a screw & a pair of pinchers; you just have to use a smaller screw than the one that was originally in there. Put the screw in just enough grip the plug not so much that you expand it back out into the wall; if you do that it will still come out but could take a lump of the tile/plaster with it. It does rather depend on how good a hold it’s got & sometimes it’s better to cut it off flush & use a pin punch to push it further in if it will go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back