Removing Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, i am after some advice to remove an arch way in the middle of two rooms , first i will explain the situation

we have a end terrace two bedroom house, down stares there is currently a a hall running up the LH side to the stares with a door turning right into a dining room at the back half of the property and the living room at the front, kitchen is then a separate extension off there back that does on impact this.

the total length of the house inside is 7m with the with of the two rooms 3,4m to the internal wall separating the hallway and stares, between the two rooms there is a wall half way down separating the living and dining room,again its 3.4m wide, in this wall there is an 2m arch way with a concrete wall either side of it, the arch its self is plasterboard and timber, the arch way is not quite centre so the wall is slightly longer one side than the other.

up stares there are two bedrooms,all walls are timber/plasterboard and the roof is suspended on toys own two very large timbers going to the gable end's.

Floor joists all run front to back, size are 8" x 2" and 3/4 of them are sitting on the wall half way down the living & dining room, as there is an arch way through it the is a timber roughly 11" x 3" running along the top of this wall supporting the joists above the arch way, the timber runs the full length of the wall on the one side right into the outside wall and on the other it stops about 1ft from the end, its sitting on about 8 inches of wall on this side the rest is block work supporting 1 joist.

what i want to do is completely remove this wall, I'm fine on the RH side as the support timber runs all the way and into the pine end, the problem i have is the other side, it falls short of the adjoining wall.

So my options as far as i can see are either extend the timber or replaced with UB, i have been advised by a builder friend to use a UB of 203 x 102 x 23kg on the span of 3.4m however i don't fancy this option as it means acro the floor and removing the existing one and replacing with the steel, my only other thought add a second timber next to it, bolt it to it and support on both wall's either end. just like starting again but leaving the existing one in place

WHat you guys think ? what size timer should i use if i went down that option?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/genera...er-when-removing-a-wall.305527/#ixzz1i2oToDVD

Sponsored Links
I got lost somewhere there - is the wall currently "concrete" or block? It sounds quite integral to the house! If your builder friend has suggested a new beam, then I think that's what you'll end up doing.

Also, is one end of the beam in a "party wall"? If so you need to check the implications of fitting a new beam into it before you make any more plans. Lots of legal ramifications there.

For a 3.4m spanning opening in a structural wall i wouldnt even consider timber as an option as it will end up huge and difficult.. steel will be cheaper and easier to install..
Best to get a few builders round to quote / discuss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back