Removing Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying a 1930s semi that has supaglypta/anaglypta wallpaper. My wife wants to remove this, but I think its the original plaster underneath.

We want plain painted walls and ceilings.

Assuming I hire a steamer/stripper, what are the chances that I'm not going to need to replaster? Contractor I've spoken to says his plasterers don't like skimming onto old plaster. Am I therefore likely to need to hack off all the old stuff?

We'd like to keep the original skirting and picture rails if possible. Is this possible if I need to get the walls plastered, and if so, should I use plasterboard (dot and dab) or get them to plaster the walls?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
My house 1890, I stripped all the paper (downstairs) spent many hours, filling the bad bits using polyfilla, Filling & Rubbing painting, filling rubbing etc until I was satisfied, I then painted the walls with 2 coats matt white matt, before final colour was applied. People did ask why I was trying to get it smooth as it was an old house etc. I new what I wanted very pleased with it.
BYTW still have original coving, I had to fill a few bits though.

Edit: I did use a steamer to remove painted wallpaper.

WaveyDave said:
I'm buying a 1930s semi that has supaglypta/anaglypta wallpaper. My wife wants to remove this, but I think its the original plaster underneath.

We want plain painted walls and ceilings.

Assuming I hire a steamer/stripper, what are the chances that I'm not going to need to replaster? Contractor I've spoken to says his plasterers don't like skimming onto old plaster. Am I therefore likely to need to hack off all the old stuff?

We'd like to keep the original skirting and picture rails if possible. Is this possible if I need to get the walls plastered, and if so, should I use plasterboard (dot and dab) or get them to plaster the walls?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Dave

Well in terms of replastering, if the existing stuff is sound then plasterers will skim straight over - no need to hack off. Ceilings may need plasterboarding over though, depends what's on them at the moment I guess. Stripping anaglypta off a ceiling doesn't sound fun.

The reason you'd replaster is simply that the finish wil be miles, miles better. Filling will show up under close inspection. Depends what final result you are going for, 'clean and regal' or 'country cottage' !!

I would say you'd want the skirting and rails off - if the plasterer simply plastered up to them you'd lose about 3mm of the rail. If you approach them carefully you should get them off without too much damage. Especially if you will repaint them afterwards, you can fill bits and re-attach.

Another thing to consider on the replaster front is rewiring...if any is needed you may as well do it now, and then have a fresh coat of skim to make good...

I'm an advocate of replastering but it does depend on budget and how important the finish is to you...

trotter said:
Well in terms of replastering, if the existing stuff is sound then plasterers will skim straight over - no need to hack off. Ceilings may need plasterboarding over though, depends what's on them at the moment I guess. Stripping anaglypta off a ceiling doesn't sound fun.

The reason you'd replaster is simply that the finish wil be miles, miles better. Filling will show up under close inspection. Depends what final result you are going for, 'clean and regal' or 'country cottage' !!

I would say you'd want the skirting and rails off - if the plasterer simply plastered up to them you'd lose about 3mm of the rail. If you approach them carefully you should get them off without too much damage. Especially if you will repaint them afterwards, you can fill bits and re-attach.

Another thing to consider on the replaster front is rewiring...if any is needed you may as well do it now, and then have a fresh coat of skim to make good...

I'm an advocate of replastering but it does depend on budget and how important the finish is to you...

Thanks for the reply. Ceiling is lath and plaster, we've been advised to just board over it, but the Mrs is complaining about the loss of ceiling height, yes I know, but try telling her that :rolleyes:

I'd like to plaster throughout, the whole place needs rewiring and some lead plumbing removed, so it does make sense. Just got no idea how much its going to cost me! Will have to wait until the contractor can give me a quote I guess. I've got approx 30k to do the whole place, so some things are higher priority than others. Needs a new kitchen, bathroom, load bearing wall removed, electrics, plumbing and probably plastering :rolleyes:

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
WaveyDave said:
trotter said:

Thanks for the reply. Ceiling is lath and plaster, we've been advised to just board over it, but the Mrs is complaining about the loss of ceiling height, yes I know, but try telling her that :rolleyes:

I'd like to plaster throughout, the whole place needs rewiring and some lead plumbing removed, so it does make sense. Just got no idea how much its going to cost me! Will have to wait until the contractor can give me a quote I guess. I've got approx 30k to do the whole place, so some things are higher priority than others. Needs a new kitchen, bathroom, load bearing wall removed, electrics, plumbing and probably plastering :rolleyes:

Thanks

Dave

You'll lose an inch off your ceiling height...not a chance you'll notice. I'd bet your house will be far higher ceiling wise than modern build anyway. Taking down a lath and plaster ceiling is no fun. You want to board over if you can !!

As a real rough guide my plasterer charges £215 plus materials (£25) a day, that's for 2 people and they will do for an example a 12x12 room in a day. He's reasonably cheap for my area (Essex) the rate could well be £350/£400 a day for some teams of two. But that's a rough guide for you.

If you are spending £30k on renovating, don't skimp on the most visible part of the work (the walls) - get them replastered !!!

overboard the ceilings without even touching them is my advice, your mrs might understand if you hack a small piece down and let it fall while she watches.

as far as skirtings, dadoes and picture rails are concerned, you might not need to take them off, depending what your plasterer says, i know your current builder aint happy to do it .........

if you do take them all off, be prepared to smash them up beyond all recognition and have to buy new ones. I only say this so you aint disappointed...

Dont know if this helps but my house was head to toe in the dreaded woodchip when i bought it. I bought a kit from www.wallwik.co.uk which is much easier and faster than steaming. It has worked really well, it has removed the woodchip and not damaged the walls at all so i dont need to do any work on them apart from a tiny bit of filling and sanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back