Removing welded on glossy wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all

I am having really hard time removing a horrible glossy wall paper from my new kitchen walls.

The steamer just won't touch it unless I score the paper but even the backing left behind is really hard to remove and I can only take off small patches. Do I simply need to keep going is is there an easier way ?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Could you describe this paper in a little more detail for me, is the paper of smooth texture and unpainted, or is it bold in pattern and prepainted.

The reason I ask is why what you call the backing paper is difficult to remove.

Dec.

Could you describe this paper in a little more detail for me, is the paper of smooth texture and unpainted, or is it bold in pattern and prepainted.

The reason I ask is why what you call the backing paper is difficult to remove.

Dec.

The paper is a heavy embossed pattern paper with a very shiny finish. In parts the paper is adhered to fresh plaster which is really hard to remove but slightly easier when it has covered a previously painted wall. When the top waxy layer is removed a further shiny layer is left behind which also does not steam well, once you get rid of that though the paper backing just falls off with a bit of steam. I think the paper is about 15 years or so old and is very heavy weight

Thanks for your reply

At this time this is only speculation on my part, yet I have a feeling that the wallcovering that you have encountered is Lincrusta. If I am correct here you have got a job on your hands, Lincrusta has fused into it a layer of linseed oil hence the waxy layer. This type of wallcovering is often glued to the substrate and is a sheer pig to strip.

You will need to score this as much as you can 40 grit paper, a perforator, I have even over the years resorted to a wire brush to help remove the uppermost part. What is also handy here is a good broad edged stripping knife.

Not what you wanted to hear i'm sure, but there is no quick fix here.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
At this time this is only speculation on my part, yet I have a feeling that the wallcovering that you have encountered is Lincrusta. If I am correct here you have got a job on your hands, Lincrusta has fused into it a layer of linseed oil hence the waxy layer. This type of wallcovering is often glued to the substrate and is a sheer pig to strip.

You will need to score this as much as you can 40 grit paper, a perforator, I have even over the years resorted to a wire brush to help remove the uppermost part. What is also handy here is a good broad edged stripping knife.

Not what you wanted to hear i'm sure, but there is no quick fix here.

Dec.

You are right not what I wanted to hear but thank you so much for the advice.

Can I use a belt sander ( I'm lazy) :mrgreen:

Anything you like to get that off, when you have removed it around Xmas 2012 ;) Let us know.

Best of luck to you

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back