1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone papered over old artex - how to remove?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by ScrappyDoo, 18 Feb 2013.

1. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It seems like there was artex on the wall previously and the previous owners simply papered over it after removing the high points of the artex.

My idea was to skim over the artex rather than trying to remove it, but how would I get the paper off first? Steamer and scraper might do the job, but I'm not sure if there would be an easier way as I'd imagine it would be quite difficult due to not being fixed to a flat wall.

2. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Deleted, forgot to RTFQ properly.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. kbdiy

kbdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have you just tried scoring and soaking it with water? I would not have thought there could be much holding the paper up if it's covering such an uneven surface (must look really lovely - NOT!). Will still need scraping but a good soaking should soften it.

A steamer would do the same but you would probably get a lot of leakage round the edges so would be like working in a sauna!

5. dhutch

dhutch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Large hammer!

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links