Removing old artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has the living room ceiling, part of the front room staircase and porce artexed. I want to get rid of this, but wondered if it needs to be removed, or can it just be skimmed over. The porch artex is already peeling off.
If it needs to be removed, am I resigned to scraping it off or is there another way.
I have also had it mentioned to me that some older artexed can contain asbestos..... As far as I know the artex was put on around the 1990 to 91 mark. It's been drilled into countless times and sanded in some areas previously, no issues encountered. House was built in 1973.
I would welcome any advice.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I removed all the artex from the ceiling in our first house in 1984 by soaking it with hot water from a pump sprayer and when soft, scraping it off with a 1” gasket scraper. When I’d got it all off, I then sanded the ceiling with an electric sander. The ceiling came up beautiful. No mask or goggles were used and I was covered in dust. I didn't know then about the dangers of asbestos in it. Too late to worry about it now.

Last edited:
no issues encountered.
Health issues don’t show straight away, they can take 15 years plus up to about 60 iirc and only takes one fibre. That said, loads of people who have worked with it (as in disturbing it) don’t show any symptoms or get health issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back