ARTEX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has been mentioned that artex contains asbestos. I recently removed artex from all of the walls in a room, before plastering and skimming the walls to make it smooth. Is artex harmful?

Sponsored Links
Artex applied before the mid-seventies may have contained asbestos, later than that that there should be no problem. Its always a good idea though to have it checked if unsure.

The cut off date is generally the early 80's - perhaps upto 1985.

It was not just Artex (brand name) but other textured coatings too.

The artex is not harmful in situ or when covered, but in any sanding or drillling, then fibres may be released in the dust.

Even so, the quantities of fibres within it are relatively low and your exposure short term, and you will be equaly at risk from harm by breathing in any other dust, or even walking next to any busy road.

But risks should always be minimised

Sponsored Links
Artex (the manufacturer) stopped UK production of asbestos containing products in 1984 - but offered an asbestos free product from the late 70's.

Other leading manufacturers stopped around the same time but, not all - plus there were imports

However it was not formally banned in other products by EU and UK legislation until 1992.

I am slightly worried now. I was removing tiles from my kitchen with a hammer and chisel. Underneath the tiles were artex. As I removed the tiles, some pieces of the wall was coming away. :eek:

I wouldn't be.

The asbestos content of artex is very low, so slow that the fibres are vastly outnumbered by other particles, and are only just recordable.

Add to this such a small time of exposure and the actual risk of ill effects is negligible.

The risk is slightly increased when sanding and producing lots of dust, and doing this for hours on end. But even so the risk here is more from the other dust partciles.

AIUI, the asbestos content is so low that it is very difficult to measure in accordance with current recognised sampling methods - and this is from the HSE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back