removing wires from switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a dimmer in my new house. the problem i have is that i can't seem to remove the wires from the existing light switch. they aren't wound around the screws on the switch like i am used to seeing. they are inserted in holes in the back of the switch. the switch has an engraved instruction to press here to release wires, but i can't seem to get it to work. is there a trick to it?

Sponsored Links
we do not have those type of connections here in the U.K. why not just cut the wire off close to the switch as you can? Obviously with the electricity off

Turn off the power. Get a very small flathead screwdriver (like one for repair of eyeglasses). Above the wire is a square hole. Put the flat end of the screwdriver in the hole & push. At the same time you are pushing the screwdriver in, pull the wire out of the round hole. This type switch is usually legal for 14ga. wire only. It is best to rewire the new switch using the screws. If your house is over 10 years old it probably has the larger 12 gauge wire.
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back